Homesteading In The Pacific Northwest

Monday, August 1, 2011

Midsummer At Paradise Cove ...

August 1st is Lughnasadh, the Celtic festival of the midsummer harvests.   To celebrate I'm participating in Northwest Edible Life's nosy neighbor homestead tour today.  Check it out!

Let's take a look at what's happening now that we have actually had a couple of weeks with some sunshine here in soggy Shelton, Washington!  We'll start in "The Garden", the "Edible Landscaping" on the lake side of the property ...



The "Three Sisters" wine barrel plantings (Anasazi and Cherokee Trail of Tears Beans with Golden Bantam corn and assorted squashes) are doing great!  I did have to add some trellising as the beans were outgrowing the corn in the cool weather we were having.

 The Delicata squash in the wooden crate ...


...has even started to form some fruit ...



The cedar log bed down by the lake is looking good ...


... more squash and Tiger Eye beans (the red gadget in the background is one of FitzGyver's toys ... a gasoline powered pump that takes water from the lake and sends it to a fire hose).

The "Dock Box" with buckets full of Rose Gold potato plants that are are starting to blossom now ...


Bingo Beans in one half wine barrel ...


Squash and Anasazi Beans in another ...


The Terrace Garden has a new resident ...


This was totally not my fault.  I HAD to buy him after reading this post on "The Bloggess".  When I saw him at the local nursery I was doomed ... so now Bunny has a friend ...

The two bay laurels in the Bell Garden have doubled in size and the herbs under the bell are ready to be cut and dried ...



I think that's about all that is new in "The Garden"; so let's take a look at " The Farm" on the back side of the house ...



The tomatoes and cucumbers are still coming along ...


I've harvested the potato bed and boxes and am getting ready to replant them ... and the logs in the garbage can are soaking in water.  Do you remember my mushroom experiment?  Well, it's time to see if it has worked; soaking the logs is the first step (I'll keep you posted).

Several of the beds have already been harvested and replanted for fall ...



These are root crops (carrots, beets and parsnips) ...


... and some green beans, beets and onions in the fore ground, snow peas and lettuce to the rear ...



More potatoes ...


...and more potatoes (I use a lot of potatoes in the winter time).


The wine barrel herb planting has come along nicely and I am very impressed with the Pesto Perpetuo Basil; that one is a keeper!

And last, but not least ...


The Cherokee Purple tomatoes outgrew their cages and needed additional support.  They are full of green tomatoes and I have my fingers crossed that the weather will continue to cooperate.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. So is your rooster named Beyonce? ;) I love all your containers - the barrels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your garden. Form meets function for sure! Good luck with the tomatoes. I too am hopeful. k with the tomatoes. I too am hopeful.

    My garden is either bolting or bare. If I need it for fall it's bare. If not I'm picking at bolting plants until the next batch is ready. Then the girls get it. So my garden looks ugly. Yours looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful setting for your garden! I really enjoyed checking it out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The summer garden looks beautiful and the lake looks awful appealing too! :D

    Never can have too many potatoes and I love the new addition to the garden. I would have had to bring him home too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks wonderful Deb! I really like the new addition...who could resist?? Boy you two definitely love your potatoes! We love them but don't eat a lot of them. I gain weight just looking at them and pasta! So one of the two has to be cut back!

    ReplyDelete