Homesteading In The Pacific Northwest

Friday, June 4, 2010

An Abundance of Kale...

This year I planted many greens and vegetables that I had never eaten before and that has brought a whole new set of challenges...learning how to prepare them....I posted a note on Facebook asking for kale recipes and received many suggestions (thanks, everyone : ).  I asked for soups and stews because the weather has turned cold and cloudy and I wanted some comfort food...I tweaked a couple of recipes and came up with this...




Sausage, Kale and White Bean Soup 


Ingredients
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1”pieces
2 links Italian sausage, casings removed
1/2 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 12 ounce can  white beans, rinsed and drained
Small sprig fresh rosemary
1 bay leaf
Red pepper flakes to taste
1 bunch kale, ribs removed, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
2 quarts chicken stock (preferably homemade from free range chickens)
Shaved Parmesan cheese


Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the sausage. Break up the sausage with a spatula, and cook and stir until the sausage is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink. Remove the sausage to drain on a paper towel-lined plate.

Stir the onion and garlic into the sausage drippings, cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 3 minutes.  Add  chicken stock, rosemary, bay leaf and pepper flakes and simmer for 15 minutes.  Stir in the sausage, potatoes, beans and kale and simmer for 5 minutes.  Add tomato and simmer 5 more minutes.

Serve garnished with shaved Parmesan cheese.

Enjoy!

Deb

2 comments:

  1. Deb - my husband for some reason gets inflammation in his joints a lot. Right now he's dealing with inflammation in his lower back discs. I had a doctor poo-poo the thought that there was a change in diet that could help. I'm going to read the article you linked and at least try to see if something helps. Thanks and thank you for the bean soup recipe! My favorite soup... now to try with kale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm - sounds good. I'm going to jump on the eat better wagon with you - I'm only 46 and I feel like it prob feels to be 86. Tired, tired, tired. I'm hopeful that a change in eating habits (NOTE I DID NOT SAY THE "D" WORD) will help this!

    I planted tomato plants after seeing your raised beds and bucket gardens... you inspired me!!

    ReplyDelete