Homesteading In The Pacific Northwest

Friday, January 21, 2011

Caught Up....

I spent some time in my little greenhouse yesterday morning and got caught up on my seed starting.  I made 4 trays of soil blocks (144!) and planted chard, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach and more peas.






I was cruising through Johnny's Select Seeds web site the other day and watched a video on making soil blocks.  I realized that I wasn't getting the soil mix wet enough...and that I could space the blocks a lot closer in the tray (notice how many more blocks I got in the trays on the top two shelves).

I also planted some onions and leeks in my old wooden crates...





I'm trying a new bunching onion, Shimonita,  from Territorial Seed Company and a Summer Leek from Irish Eyes...

And a harvest update from the experimental winter bed:





Tatsoi, Joi Choi, Orange Mini Cabbage and some radishes all went very nicely in a bowl of yakisoba...





The recipe is on You Tube..." Cooking With Dog".... I really love this lady and her dog...great, easy Japanese recipes....

Enjoy!

Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment