Homesteading In The Pacific Northwest

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ribbitt! Ribbitt!

Some folks depend on a groundhog to tell them if spring is near.  Me... I depend on our frogs.  During the summer the days here at the lake are filled with the sound of birds singing.  The evening and night are filled with the sound of frogs croaking.  Big, deep voiced frogs...tiny, high pitched frogs...hundreds and hundreds of frogs...  living here I have learned that when I start hearing the frogs, spring is not far away.  Yesterday I heard it...the first frog of the season!  Only one so far...but I am sure there will be more soon...

Now that I know that spring is near I feel very hopeful about this weeks' "extending the seasons" experiments.  I transplanted about 100 shelling pea seedlings (Dakota) into my pea patch on Friday...


The air temperature in the  covered bed has been staying between 40 and 60 degrees...and I figure since I transplanted seedlings the soil temperature shouldn't be an issue...we'll see....

I've started another bed with snow peas and some broccoli....


The tomatoes I started Jan. 22 are coming along nicely...


Almost all of my seeds germinated and several have their first true leaves and roots beginning to extend beyond the soil block...so I transplanted them to 4" pots....


So far...so good...fingers crossed that the frog's prediction is accurate....

Enjoy!

Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment