Homesteading In The Pacific Northwest

Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Return of the Blob ...

Some of my favorite time savers in the kitchen are my blobs.  At the end of the summer when  herbs are plentiful I make mixed herb blobs ...


Here I have a mix of basil, parsley, rosemary and thyme that I puree in a processor with a little olive oil ...


... spoon into an ice cube tray and freeze ...


... and then pop out of the tray, place in a labeled freezer bag and store in the freezer...

I make roasted garlic blobs by peeling a bunch of garlic cloves, drizzling them with a little olive oil and roasting them in a covered dish at 350 degrees for about an hour ...




Here are some roasted garlic blobs and some basil blobs getting ready to go into the freezer...


And after they've been frozen and are ready to store ...


I saute mushrooms (in this case chanterelles) in olive oil and make mushroom blobs ...


And  it seems that most recipes that call for chipotle peppers only use one or two, so I make blobs out of the rest of the can ...


Can you think of anything else that would make good blobs?

Enjoy!



4 comments:

  1. I see you shop at Costco too..lol Love the blobs! I have never tried to puree the herbs first with olive oil. Makes much more sense than that i was doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make pesto blobs and guacamole blobs. I buy the pesto at Costco and then freeze blobs. The guacamole I make when avocados are cheap and then freeze in small Ziploc containers (2 oz ones I think) after covering the top of the guac with plastic wrap. I bought these containers a while ago, not sure if they are still made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made my own pesto this summer with basil. I've read that mint will make excellent blobs too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to remember this when I am harvesting my herbs next year. Thanks!

    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete