Homesteading In The Pacific Northwest

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Something New ....

No real news on the garden yet; the seed starts are coming along nicely and we are getting ready to start work on the greenhouse...

Four huge boxes were delivered ...


And we have had tree branches trimmed ...


Next step is to start putting in the foundation ... hopefully this weekend.

While I have been waiting for spring I have spent some time working on some permanent pages for my blog.  You will see them listed in tabs just above this entry.  I've added to the Garden Projects page and updated my seed list and 5 Season's plan.  I've added several new pages, one with information and links on GMOs, another with some recipes and cooking tips and the most recent, a menu planning page.


One of my goals this year was to start planning menus for a month at a time.  I've been doing it for a few months now and I've found that it is simpler than you think. And it helps you make the most of what you already have as well as any good deals that might hit the grocery store shelves.


One of my biggest objections to monthly meal planning used to be “How do you know what will be on sale?”  Now I hit the sales when I see them and add them to my storage items ... for example my favorite grocery store has local chickens on sale this week for 79 cents a pound.  I'll buy four of them and rotate them in to my freezer stock.  I'll do the same the next time they have a BOGO special on pasta, as I'm starting to get low.  When I make up my menu I'll “shop” my freezer, pantry and garden first and then add in any special items (like corned beef for St. Patrick's Day). The savings in meat alone makes this so worthwhile.

I've made up a rotating 4 week menu that makes it easy to just plug in what's fresh in the garden or I have or found on sale. I've customized it for our lifestyle, for example we often go scuba diving on Saturdays.  We like to have a big breakfast before diving, then snack between dives and something warm and easy to prepare when we get home ... so Saturday is soup night.


Here's a peek at one of my menus in progress ...

March 11 - 17
Sunday
Brunch



Dinner
Sunday Roast : Pot Roast from freezer stock
Prep
Muffins
Monday
Breakfast
Muffins
Lunch

Dinner
Pasta Night : Chicken Cacciatore with Garlic Polenta
Prep
Start Yogurt
Tuesday
Breakfast
Muffins
Lunch

Dinner
Asian : Katsudon (pork chops from freezer stock)
Prep

Wednesday
Breakfast
Breakfast Parfait
Lunch

Dinner
Chef’s Choice : Stroganoff  with leftover beef from Sunday
Prep

Thursday
Breakfast
Oatmeal
Lunch

Dinner
Pizza Night
Prep
Start no knead bread
Friday
Breakfast
Breakfast Parfait
Lunch

Dinner
Fish on Friday : Steamed Clams with Saffron Rice
Prep

Saturday
Breakfast
Big Breakfast Saturday
Lunch

Dinner
St. Paddy’s Day Special
Prep
Rye Bread








.

This will be a work in progress.  I'm looking forward to summer when I will be planning meals around the produce from my garden.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Exciting project getting underway! We are about to get our annual "big project" underway as well. Having quite a few trees removed from one portion of our property. Expecting this will greatly improve the sun availability for my side garden area.

    I like to plan meals ahead too but stick to one week at a time - which works better with incorporating what is fresh and available from the garden. A monthly schedule would work for me in winter though, as I am using stored items mostly.

    ReplyDelete