Homesteading In The Pacific Northwest

Monday, April 11, 2011

Harvest Monday...and my FitzGyver'd Barrels....

I had a couple of small harvests of greens and lettuce this week...sorry, no pictures : (   I used some of the greens to make a dish I'm calling pork chops with beans 'n greens.  I made it up as I was cooking it and it was great!  I'll pay attention to what and how much when I make it again and get a photo and a recipe posted.... I'm joining other bloggers over at Daphne's Dandelions as we share our weekly harvests...it's fun to see what others are harvesting and what they are cooking up with it...check it out!

Not much happened in the garden over the weekend...the weather wasn't too bad on Saturday so I took a play day and went diving with Mike at Sund Rock on the Hood Canal.  And Sunday the weather was awful so I curled up next to the fireplace with a good book :)

Today I wanted to show you what FitzGyver has engineered for my garden from polyethylene drums...this is my new rain barrel...


I found the old dippers and bucket hiding in a corner of our tool shed...aren't they cute?

And these are our composters....one for new stuff and one for compost in progress....


For information on composting and buying or making your own composters try:

Composting 101

Seattle Composting Guide

Building A Drum Composter

Let it Rot!: The Gardener's Guide to Composting (Third Edition) (Storey's Down-to-Earth Guides)

Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. I so need to get my barrels hooked up. No clue where to get the materials to attach it to my downspout. May just have to order online. Very nifty looking. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Mike got the attachments at the McLendon's in Belfair. He said that Home Depot has them , too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rain barrel with dippers. You'll make full use of it, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so lucky! My guy wants nothing to do with the garden much less the BIG projects I need help with. These look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both the rain barrel and the composter look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jody: I love the dippers...just the right size to put at nice cup of water at the base of a tomato plant ...

    Barbie: Yes, I am lucky. Mike doesn't like to mess around in the dirt growing things...but he loves building things....

    Hoosier : Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that some of the best dishes are those that you make up as you cook it!

    It looks like your Mr. FitzGyver came up with a pretty cool set-up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How I wish I had a rain barrel. Maybe some year I'll get one up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the new rain barrel! I have two connected together and just love them. Use them to do all my watering of the container plants.

    Those composters are truly a thing of beauty! Totally jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robin : I agree! Even though I post recipes I hardly ever follow them exactly...

    Daphne: Some communities are giving rain barrels away in an effort to get people to use them, you might check locally....

    Laura : I love it! Now I don't have to carry water up from the lake during the winter (we have a well for the house but the water for the property is pumped from the lake...and the pump is off in the winter to keep it from freezing). We're going to put a second barrel up near my potting shed soon.... And yes, Mike did a great job on those composters...scrap lumber and a couple of free barrels...I think the only things he bought for them were the hinges and latches :)

    ReplyDelete