Homesteading In The Pacific Northwest

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Pressure Cooker Beef Stock

I don't use nearly as much beef stock in my cooking as I do chicken stock, but there are times (as in French Onion Soup) when only beef stock will do.  On one of my recent foraging expeditions I came across several packages of nice looking beef soup bones ...


... and decided to try making a stock on the pressure cooker the same as I've been doing with chicken...


... soup bones, carrots, onions, garlic, celery and a tomato ...


... into the oven (450 degrees) to brown.  I discovered that roasting the beef bones released a lot of fat onto the pan ... and decided not to try and remove it from the oven until it was completely cool. I transferred the bones and vegetables to my cooker with come tongs, filled it to two thirds full with water, added some peppercorns and bay leaves and cooked at pressure for 30 minutes (please follow the directions for your cooker).  After letting the pressure in the cooker release naturally as it cooled I discovered that there was still a lot of fat on top of the stock so I refrigerated it overnight ...


... broke up the fat and removed it with a slotted spoon.  The stock was not as strong as I would have liked (note to self: use more bones next time) so I brought to a boil and reduced it by one third ... transferred it to pint jars and pressure canned it.


I have decided that I am not going to go into all of the details of the canning process here on my blog.  Other people with more experience and knowledge than I have have written much more detailed and informative posts that I could ... here is one of the best that I have found on using a pressure canner ... 
 SB Canning.  

Enjoy!






3 comments:

  1. NOW... what do you do w/ all the stuff left in the pressure cooker? Soup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of using my pressure cooker to make stock! I normally just let it boil all day long. Thanks for the tip, you just shaved several year off of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea to use the pressure cooker to reduce the time involved. I tend to put my pressure cooker away during the summer months but use it in the fall and winter to cook beans and soups etc. I really should use it year round.

    ReplyDelete