Homesteading In The Pacific Northwest

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard ... Butternut Squash Soup

 Today is Kitchen Cupboard Day on the Gardener of Eden blog; so make sure you head over to Robin’s blog and check out what is going on in her kitchen as well as other kitchens from around the globe.  This week saw me canning up some of the butternut squash that I've been storing in the Hobbit Hole.  The weather has been nasty and I wanted to have some soup bases ready to go for quick dinners.



I found the instructions for making the soup base on the SB Canning Web Site.  It's pretty much straight forward; peel, cut up and blanch the squash, fill hot jars with the hot squash and some hot chicken stock and can in a pressure canner.  The full instructions can be found here.

To make the soup I cooked a half cup each of chopped celery, onions and carrots in a little butter until they were soft.  I added the jar of squash and stock, freshly ground pepper and some dried thyme (my fresh is still suffering the after effects of last weeks ice storm).  I let that simmer for about 15 minutes and then pureed it with my immersion blender.  I stirred in about a half a cup of half and half , let that warm up for a few minutes and then served the soup garnished with a little freshly ground nutmeg and a big chunk of crusty bread.  Mike took one taste and said "This is a keeper!".  I agree with him; it's great!

I'm going to try the same process for canning up the great big Hubbard squash I still have in storage and then I'm going to try making a mushroom soup base and a base for clam chowder.  I'll keep you posted how those turn out.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. This soup sounds great! I don't have any butternut squash. But I do have some pumpkins that need to be used. There is nothing better then a nice soup on a cold day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soup is my favorite thing to do with butternut squash, especially with a dollop of sour cream on top. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have butternut squash in storage and chicken broth in the freezer. This time of year, soup is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a couple of pumpkins left in storage and am planning to make some squash and bean soup this weekend with homemade bread on the side. Butternut squash would be better but I will use what I got. Your recipe looks absolutely delicious.

    I hope you were spared too much damage from the snow and ice storm events.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was the first time I made a squash soup and we both loved it! I have a big Hubbard and pumpkins still in storage and will be canning them this week. I started a batch of beef stock yesterday and will finish and can that today.

    Laura, we have a few big branches down and lots of small debris, but no major damage. And we never lost power! I think my bay laurels came through ok ... I was most worried about them since it takes a few years to get them to a good size.

    ReplyDelete