Homesteading In The Pacific Northwest

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Bell Garden... and The Bride Wore Purple ...

Mike and I have been working on "The Garden" for many weeks now and it is really beginning to look good!  So I thought I would give you a little peak of one of the beds; I call it the "Bell Garden" ...

Mike and I were married on July 14, 2007 right here at Paradise Cove.  It was a very formal affair ...


...the bride wore purple capris and carried her Maltese adorned with ribbons instead of a bouquet ... the groom wore shorts and sandals ...


The guests in attendance were equally formal ... that's my sister, Diane in front of the bell and my Dad to her right ... you can see the old gray rock in this photo.  We have changed the color of the rock and built the steps of the terrace up one more stone to allow us to put more soil and deeper rooted plants in the beds.  At this point it was all ornamental or native plants on this side of the house.  The new garden will be a combination of ornamentals, natives and edibles.


Mike built the bell for my wedding present .... we rang it to call our friends in for the wedding ceremony...

Here is the "Bell Garden" now that the new stone work is almost completed ... I can't wait for the clamatis to start blooming!


I'm planting a combination of herbs and perennial flowers and shrubs around the base of the bell ...


I'm working on the plantings on the slope above the stone wall on the bulkhead now ... hope to be able to show you what we've done there soon :)

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Oh another middle aged newlywed couple! Thomas (The Italian) and I were married in 2008 and Villager & his wife have only been married a few years too. I think that we are the lucky ones :)

    I just love your wedding present!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Deb! And I think purple capris are way cool.

    @Robin, don't forget me and Frank, although we're a bit past middle age, and not exactly married....yet ;-) (Deb, it's really not as bad as it sounds, LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, Deb what a beautiful little garden, and such a wonderful reminder of your love. *swoon* Oh but to have a romantic hubby.

    (That's it Richard! I'm a tradin' ya in!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No wonder you both love living there. Gorgeous place. I'm so glad you found each other. I love being married to my Sweet Baboo (he HATES that name) and it will be 40 years on July 17. Life is good, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Penny, you are lucky to have found your sweetie 40 years ago ... but I'm so glad that so many of us oldsters are finding Mr. Right later on...

    Barbie, Mike doesn't have a romantic bone in his body! He just likes to build things : )

    AG, I want to hear the rest of that story!

    Robin, : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a special place you two have created! I think it's a really wonderful thing to have your place of promises made where you can go every day.

    ReplyDelete