Homesteading In The Pacific Northwest

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Why Garden?

I try to keep "Food Politics" out of my blog for the most part, but sometimes I come across something that is so well done and states in such sure terms why we need to be aware of what is happening in the food industry  that I just have to share it.



As Robyn points out in this excellent video; it's all about money ... there is only one thing that the food industry will understand ... when their profits start going down ... the government isn't going to do it for us (indeed, just the opposite, as seen by the recent go ahead for Monsanto GMO alfalfa) ... we need to vote with our pocket books and be willing to take the time to save ourselves and our children from those who put profit before the welfare of the people.

Seeing this video has firmed my resolve on a thought I had earlier this week.  I know now what my "One Thing" will be ... I am going to apply for WSU Extension Master Gardener training.

What is your "One Thing" ?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this video. I actually learned a couple of things from it. "Food Politics" is my thing any more. It is so so scary what our goverment is allowing to go on in the food industry. Most people have no idea what they are eating. We do not eat processed or non organic food. I am hoping with the plots & cold frames that I will be able to grow and preserve all of our fruits and vegetables for the year. I already grow and dry all of our herbs.

    I will be starting my Master Gardeners training later this year. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I can grow all of our vegetables, but I have good local organic sources for what I don't grow. I have a lot of herbs growing, but I do buy some (especially medicinals) from Mountain Rose Herbs in Oregon ...

    ReplyDelete