Homesteading In The Pacific Northwest

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Where There's A Will ...

I thought I might explain a bit about my weather rant in my Sunday post.  I've lived in the Pacific Northwest for 20 years ... you either learn to live with the weather or you move back to California.  I've done a pretty good job of making  "The Farm" impervious to the weather ...


But "The Garden" is another story ...  this area is my "edible landscaping" ... edibles mixed with ornamentals in a garden setting.  It is on the lake side of the house and gets the brunt of the wind and rain and is not as easily protected as "The Farm".  I had the top two beds of the terrace garden covered with low hoops ...


... but the tomatoes it the top bed were getting too large ... they needed some support and protection from wind and rain ....


So what's a Northwest gardener gonna do?  Grumble about the weather for a while ... sit and think for a while ... wait for the first break in the rain and then grab some wire, and some bamboo stakes ...


...and some plastic sheeting and some twine ...



...get all three tomato plants caged and covered ...


... and then run for cover because it's getting ready to rain cats and dogs again!

So now I'm sitting and thinking about how to cloche the "Three Sisters Plantings" in the wine barrels ...


I suspect it will have something to do with a lot more wire, plastic sheeting and twine ... the local hardware store should start giving me a "frequent flyer"discount!

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Good idea. My tomatoes, with cages, just barely fit under my 4ft bed hoops but I couldn't figure out how to "hoop" them any other way. This would've worked.

    ReplyDelete