Homesteading In The Pacific Northwest

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Gardening Isn't Just Edibles ...


This is part of the border planting that leads up to our back door (which really ought to be called the front door, but isn't .. I explained this dilemma in my post on March 26) ...anyway, it's the door most often used to access the house.  I wanted it to be sweetly fragrant as well as have something blooming from early spring until late summer.

The crocuses are the first to show up ...


Followed soon after by the fragrant violets ...


And some trilliums ...


The violets and trilliums are naturally growing natives that I have been encouraging by dividing and transplanting for several years now.

Next to bloom are the muscari ...


And the hellebores ...


And the most recent arrival, the fragrant hyacinths ...



Next there will be tulips and bleeding heart, followed by my hostas ... I'll post an update when  they arrive ...

"If thou of fortune be bereft,
and in thy store there be but left
two loaves, sell one, and with the
dole, buy hyacinths to feed thy soul."
John Greenleaf Whittier


Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment