Homesteading In The Pacific Northwest

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Seasonal Cooking ... Artichoke with Easy "Aioli"

I'm not growing artichokes and probably never will ... I don't have a spot that is warm enough, early enough to grow the quality of artichoke that I would want.  I'm spoiled ... because "The Local Guy" gets these artichokes from California and they are the best ever!


The Ingredients

I'm going to refer you to "Simply Recipes" for a pictorial on how to prepare, cook and eat an artichoke.  This is exactly the way I do it except I've never added the garlic or a bay leaf to the steaming liquid; I might try that next time.  I also don't bother with all the pretty presentation trimming unless it's for company.

For the aioli:
2 cloves garlic
A couple of pinches of sea salt
1 cup mayonnaise
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
A pinch of cayenne pepper

Using a mortar and pestle (I use my molcajete, you could use a bowl and the back of a spoon) smash the garlic with the salt until it forms a smooth paste.  Add all the rest of the ingredients, mix well and chill (I said it was easy : )


Serve the artichoke leaves with the chilled aioli.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Perfect timing! I do grow my own artichokes and we're having a bunch of them tonight...Family Fun Dinner Night ...and I believe we'll be serving your ailoi, my homemade mayo and Best Foods (for the old diehard).

    ReplyDelete